Coconut Milk Breakfast Quinoa with Caramelized Bananas and Grapefruit
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Agave nectar
- Extra cinnamon and cane sugar, for topping
– To caramelize the fruit: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the sliced grapefruit and bananas on the sheet, spreading them evenly. Sprinkle the sugar over the top of the fruit. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until fruit has started to caramelize. Remove from oven and set aside.
– While the fruit is baking, prepare the quinoa. In a small saucepan over medium high heat, whisk together the quinoa, coconut milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer (medium-low) and let cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and divide evenly between 2 bowls, topping with additional coconut milk, agave nectar, caramelized fruit and sliced almonds. Serve immediately.
* Note: If you want to get a creamier texture, add a bit more coconut milk after cooking. I also highly recommend drizzling on your agave after cooking and sweetening to taste!