Poulet Au Pain
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- 1/4 cup of butter, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, shredded
- 1 tablespoon preserved lemon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- Egg wash (1 egg and 3 tablespoons water, beaten)
- Herb salt (recipe here)
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, mix the butter, herbs, preserved lemon, garlic, and salt and combine thoroughly. Loosen the chicken skin and place the herb butter under both breasts, thighs, and legs. Spread any remaining butter over the chicken breast and set aside.
– On a floured board, Roll out the puff pastry to about a 14 -16 inch square-isa shape and place the chicken, breast side down, on the puff pastry. Wrap the dough around the chicken and seal all the seams with the egg wash. Place the chicken on a roasting rack or a parchment-lined sheet tray, brush the entire chicken with the egg wash and sprinkle with herb salt.
– Place in oven and cook for about 1 1/2 hours, depending on the size of your chicken. The chicken is done when the puff pastry is golden brown and the chicken thighs register 175 degrees. Let sit for about 10 minutes before carving.