Soy Chorizo Tacos with Jalapeño Yogurt Sauce & Homemade Corn Tortillas
- 1 large jalapeño
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1-2/3 cup Masa Harina
- 2/3 hot water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 package soy chorizo, thawed
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
To make tortillas:
– Mix the Masa Harina with the hot water, remaining sea salt and juice of one lime. Stir to combine completely. Turn out onto a clean work surface and knead with your hands until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Return dough to the bowl and cover with a towel. Set aside to rest while you make the yogurt sauce.
To make yogurt sauce:
– Wash the jalapeño and slide a fork into the top (stem side). Carefully hold the pepper over an open flame on your stovetop. Alternatively, you could use the broiler if you have an electric oven. Keep turning the pepper until it’s mostly blackened, making sure it doesn’t catch fire.
– Turn off the flame and run the pepper under water, scraping off the blackened skin with the blade of a knife. Transfer to a cutting board and cut off the stem. Slice it in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and ribs. Put the charred pepper halves into a small food processor with the yogurt, 1/4 tsp sea salt and honey. Puree until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a jar or bowl and refrigerate until serving.
To finish the tortillas and assemble the tacos:
– Cut a freezer zip-top bag down the sides so it folds open. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high on the stove. Use your hands to roll the dough into balls the size of a ping pong ball. Place a ball of dough between the cut-open plastic bag and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a round tortilla. Place the tortilla into the hot skillet (no oil necessary) and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, being careful not to let it burn. Remove with a fork and place on a plate beneath a warm, damp towel. Repeat this process of rolling out the dough and cooking it until all the tortillas have been made. (For more detailed instructions, check out The Kitchn.)
– In the same hot skillet, cook the thawed chorizo with the corn, about 5 minutes.
– To assemble the tacos, place three tortillas on each plate. Spoon the chorizo filling into the center of each tortilla. Spoon or drizzle on the jalapeño yogurt sauce. Enjoy with a refreshing drink!